The Under 12 (U12) Program is the only Therapeutic Campus-Based Care Program located on the Parkdale campus. It is an eight-bed, intensive, therapeutic campus based mental health program for both male and female children ages 6 to 12 years of age along with their families.
Clients present with a broad range of mental health and medical needs, coupled with symptoms of complex trauma, disrupted attachments, extreme behavioural and emotional disturbances, and disruptive behaviours.
The program aims to identify the developmental impact of histories of maltreatment and trauma and to use specific interventions to decrease disruptive behavioral difficulties, unhealthy internal working models, and problematic family relational concerns in an effort to facilitate increased healthy development trajectories into the future. A specialized school setting is available on-site for all children to support continued academic commitment and performance.
The U12 program provides:
- 24-hour supervision and milieu treatment
- 24-hour crisis support for children on site and their families in the community
- Individual and family therapeutic services specifically tailored to the needs of the child and family
- A comprehensive functional assessment
- Access to additional therapeutic and assessment services including; occupational therapy, expressive arts therapies, speech and language therapy, etc. (at an additional cost)
- Nursing services and monitoring of health issues
- Access to psychiatric care and medication management review
- Access to specialized on-site educational services
- Therapeutic Crisis Intervention (TCI)
This program is provided in partnership with the Ministry of Children's Services.