Become A Foster Parent
Therapeutic foster caregivers (Home Fire Keepers)
Locations: Calgary, Cold Lake, Fort McMurray, Grande Prairie and Lac La Biche.
- Home Fire Keepers are fully supported by a team of specialists, cultural leads and allies, Elders, knowledge-keepers and a clinician. They are highly valued partners & contributors.
- Home Fire Keepers are the centre of the ‘Circle of Care’ that surrounds the child or youth, with a Treatment Team in support.
Through a cultural lens:
- Home Fire Keepers tend to the emotional, physical, spiritual and cognitive development of children and youth.
- The care of a child is the sacred fire – being at the centre of care & connection.
- Home Fire Keepers teach children positive ways to stay connected to their culture.
- Home Fire Keepers are required to work from their home.
- Participation in training prior to child intake.
- Home Fire Keepers will have previous experience with managing challenging behaviours in children.
- Home Fire Keepers receive tax-free daily compensation:
- $95 per child in Calgary
- $101 per child in Cold Lake, Fort McMurray, Grande Prairie and Lac La Biche
- Participation in training & wage increases based on years of service.
Foster care network
Many of us have asked ourselves if we should consider foster parenting. We may have unanswered questions about how foster parenting will fit into or change our lives. If you're asking these questions now, please call us at 587-349-0186.
Our widely recognized Foster Care Network provides family-based care to children of all ages and we are proud of our unique reputation for consistent in-home support to foster parents. We work towards a successful transition back to the family home, long-term stability in a foster-care setting or independent living.
The type of guidance and care required of foster parents depends upon the age and needs of the child. The stay can be as short as a few days or as long as several years. We provide training, remuneration and ongoing services to assist all of our foster parents.
Wood's Homes offers youth a stable home-like environment and the opportunity to transition from intensive residential treatment to more fully-realized community living with our Foster Home-Caregiver Network. We offer a number of foster home and group living arrangements, with the goal of ensuring that our youth are positively transitioning into adulthood, and learning all the skills necessary to live independently.