WORKSHOP VOLUNTEER - ACTIVITIES, NEW SKILLS AND TRADE
Apply your specialized skills and become a Workshop Volunteer at Wood's Homes! As a Workshop Volunteer, you will bring your own skills and experience to host workshops for our New Horizon and Inglewood Opportunity Hub programs, serving young adults (ages 18-24) who are at risk of being homeless.
Young people are selected for New Horizon on the basis of their hard work, dedication and hunger to build better lives for themselves. Wood's Homes' clients are willing learners with various levels of experience.
We are looking for artists, craft makers, fitness instructors, actors and musicians, makeup artists, writers and other skill-and experience-based teachers who will supervise and facilitate workshops for our clients on a monthly or on an as-needed-basis.
This is both an in-person and remote/virtual volunteer opportunity.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Communicate information and instruction of skill-based techniques with enthusiasm, clarity and patience
- Setting up the room before each workshop
- Ensure cleanliness and organization of the space after each workshop session
- Advising Program Manager and Community Engagement Coordinator of any supplies needed
- Prepare workshop material and provide necessary handouts and tools to all participants
- Adapt to the different learning styles of members and accommodating to their needs through demonstrations and examples when necessary
- Assist clients in the creation and execution of workshop objectives and projects
- Advise Program Manager and Community Engagement Coordinator of developments or requirements, and to promptly report on any concerns
- Provide our clients with a positive experience
- Must follow all safety rules and safe work practices
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to work effectively with our clients and staff, and abilities to chosen workshop topic
- Trustworthy, reliable and strong adherence to maintaining confidentiality
Monthly or on an as-needed-basis.
We constantly review volunteer applications and will match applicants with the right volunteer role, and you may be contacted for an interview. Applications are kept on file if a match can’t be found right away - it may take a week to several months to be contacted for a volunteer position. We thank all interested volunteers for their interest; however, only those being considered for interview will be contacted.