General Education Development (GED) Tutor
Apply your knowledge and skills, and become a GED Tutor at Wood's Homes! As a GED Tutor, you will support our New Horizon and Inglewood Opportunity Hub programs, serving young adults (ages 18-24) who have yet to complete their General Educational Development (GED) test.
Young people are selected for New Horizon on the basis of their hard work, dedication and hunger to build better lives for themselves. Wood's Homes' clients are willing learners with various levels of experience.
GED Tutors provide one-to-one tutoring to a youth in need of improving their basic skills in preparation for the GED or HiSET high school equivalency exams. Tutors may choose to tutor in the areas of Reading/Writing (English) and/OR Math, or in any subject area as needed.
This is a remote/virtual volunteer opportunity.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide one-on-one tutoring for students who are preparing for the GED test
- Adapt to the different learning styles of members and accommodating to their needs through demonstrations and examples when necessary
- Assist clients in the creation and execution of workshop objectives and projects
- Advise Program Manager and Community Engagement Coordinator of developments or requirements, and to promptly report on any concerns
- Provide our clients with a positive experience
- Must follow all safety rules and safe work practices
- Experience working with young adults
- Affinity for teaching basic math and reading skills
- Desire to support young adults in their efforts to grow job and academic skills as they progress through the employment program
- Highly dependable and punctual
- Trustworthy, reliable and strong adherence to maintaining confidentiality
Monday through Friday, flexible based on volunteer and participants availability. Tutors meet 1-2 times weekly with the learner for 1-2 hours per session to assist with basic skill-building.
We constantly review volunteer applications and will match applicants with the right volunteer role, and you may be contacted for an interview. Applications are kept on file if a match can’t be found right away - it may take a week to several months to be contacted for a volunteer position. We thank all interested volunteers for their interest; however, only those being considered for interview will be contacted.