Casual Youth and Family Counsellor - Stepping Stones Youth Services
Fort McMurray, AB
Wood’s Homes is a multi-service, nationally accredited non-profit children’s mental health centre based in Calgary. Today we have over 500 employees and provide more than 40 programs for 28,000 children and their families each year in Calgary, Lethbridge, Strathmore, and Fort McMurray.
Commitment to high-risk adolescents, challenged with some very tough issues, is not easy. These are the times when our frontline workers spring into action. The type of work we do requires quick thinking, confidence, forgiveness and persistence.
We are currently seeking casual Youth & Family Counsellors I or II for our Stepping Stones Youth Services Program in Fort McMurray, AB. This program is a temporary shelter for homeless young people.
The Youth and Family Counsellor is the primary worker with young people, normally on rotating shifts that provide coverage twenty-four (24) hours a day, seven (7) days a week. The ideal candidate will be a team player who is prepared to be available on short notice.
This position reports to the Program Supervisor.
RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to:
- Implementing and maintaining a structured setting fostering the development of personal and social functioning for each resident.
- Participating in supervisory and team meetings, retreats, planning sessions, and in-service training.
- Conducting therapeutic responsibilities for young adults and their families including attendance and intervention at case conferences, consultations, school meetings, doctor’s appointments, family meetings and related case management.
- Must be an effective, mature and appropriate role model for each resident.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION:
- Diploma or Undergraduate Degree in the Social Sciences, Child and Youth Care, Nursing
- Minimum two (2) years of related experience in working with young people in a residential setting.
- Must have current driver’s license.
- Current CPR and First Aid Certification.
- Personal suitability is an important consideration.
Wood’s Homes is proud to be awarded one of the 100 Best Places to Work in Canada for 2011 and 2012, as well as one of Canada’s Best Workplaces for Women in 2011.
To apply for this position, please complete the application form below.